Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jesus Might Wink

I ran into an older brother on Saturday morning that I hadn’t seen in some time. He is part of a group of older gentlemen, in their 50’s and 60’s, who used to walk/jog in the evenings and I would see them while I was skipping rope. The set of them always made a point to greet me and made jokes after asking my name, they decided that Kamau was too difficult so my name became Young Breh. When this brother greeted me in the morning it was as if we hadn’t seen each other in years. It was as if I was a close personal friend of his or one of his son’s best friends. He shook my hand with both hands in that strong grandfatherly way. His smile was beaming as he said, “Young Breh, it is sooo good to see you!!”

It isn’t as if I wasn’t glad to see him, but his enthusiasm was contagious. I found myself thrilled to see him and I didn’t even remember his name. He asked excitedly about my daughter and wife. “Breh, take care of that precious little one. You know she holds the key to our future.”

I found myself smiling and smiling and really happy. I asked how he was. He said, “Young Breh, I’m on my way and I’m so excited I don’t know what to do.”

I was thinking about his happiness and mine; about how an incidental run-in on the street became a crescendo of excitement and expectation and understanding. It was incredible. I am not a disciple of cosmic energy and karma and such things, but I have to wonder about it now. What happens when millions of encounters like these are taking place all over the country and all over the world at the same time? What happens today during the inauguration when so much energy, so much pleasure, so much relief, expectation, pride and happiness are all occurring at the same instant focused on the same event?

It is so intense it seems likely that the clouds might part. Maybe they will, and Jesus will show his face and wink.

kamau

2 comments:

luvlife0702 said...

funny how the texan guy invoked jesus too. as did our president in his speech and with two prayers and in church this morning. church/state? hmmmm i may not believe in jesus but if christians would answer the wwjd question honestly, our world would truly be an amazing place. (although jesus did hang with the hooker and that will get you out of office:-)

people really feel like a part of something; all around the world. i only felt something today when he put a halt to Gitmo hearings. since i didn't have faith and hope, i had to wait and see and so far he's impressing me and it's only day one.

i hope a few of those hundreds of thousands left messages for their senators and for the president and really let their voices be heard (what an organizing/advocacy opportunity!!). it was like a populist movement for the first time in a long time in this country's history. now we've got to keep it going.

taylor said...

Awesome words of encouragement! I saw the Dr. on Black Men Revealed on TV 1, and he was awesome! In my area, Black Men Revealed comes on at 10am, the same time as the view. I am a pretty consisitent watcher of "The View"... until now. I know they have differnet guest, but the Dr. and Zo should be permanant guest! It was so refreshing to hear the brothers mind on different issues. I called my husband to tell him about the show and get his views on the topics shared. It was fantastic- that show is a keeper!